Being in the medical field requires one to be responsible and accountable for their actions. As nurses, we should be the first ones to know what are facts and myths in order to teach our patients correct medical information. This includes correcting old practices which are believed to be true by the public. Here are some of the debunked practices based on false beliefs in the immediate care of the newborn!
- Routine suctioning believed to be necessary to clear the baby’s airway and stimulate him to breathe.
- Foot printing as a means of identification for the newborn.
- Early bathing and washing as a form of hygienic practice.
- Routine separation where baby is in the nursery while the mother is in her room.
- Continuation of providing artificial feeding starting with pre-lacteals then artificial milk substitutes.
Follow @Vanthenp on Instagram for nursing tips!
Check out the shop for a complete study guide!
CyberMonday Sale code: CYBERMON
50% off EVERYTHING!